Social Justice Reflection
Slides 1-2
Slides 3-4
Slides 5-6
Why did you pick the topic?
I picked this topic because income inequality is something me and my older brother think about a lot and have conversations about. Additionally I find this whole topic really interesting as most of the issues people are facing related to income inequality will most likely affect me. Housing and inflation are really big issues and keep increasing and by the time I finish college, the gap between what I can do now compared to what I could've done 50 years ago would be massive and the money that the rich have will only keep rising while lower income eats the increased costs.
What you wanted to express through the editorial montage(s)
For the first 2 slides I decided to show a conflict between those with high income compared to low income, displayed by the photo montage in the middle and the elevation difference with the 2 people. For the next 2 slides I decided to do a graphic with a bar graph, a motif around coins and text in order to show ways that income inequality is affecting people. With the last 2 slides I used photomontages and data visualization to represent what is affecting citizens and states of money distribution to bring awareness to not only the gap between income brackets but threw generations/race.
What were the challenge(s) of visualizing dataThere were a couple challenges with some minor ones like finding data, and cutting down the data I wanted to include from 3 to 2. But the biggest challenge has to be transporting the Ai file into Indd. This caused me a lot of issues as I couldn't copy and paste it and it took a period and a half of watching videos and searching up stuff to debug it but fortunately I got it to work. This was just by placing the file which means I couldn't directly edit it from InDesign and would have to edit it in Illustrator to see changes.
What were the challenge(s) of working in three programs (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign)
I feel like the challenges were connecting the programs together. I had issues with each one individually but also each one working together. For example the previous one I mentioned, there was also one with the PPI of the images that I was having trouble with, along with vectors being inconsistently places both on photoshop and indd. It actually teaches me a lot about problem solving and debugging issues which I see as a valuable skill. Another challenge was managing all 3 programs at the same time as there were points where I needed all the applications open.
How did your ideas about the topic change while doing the project?
My ideas about this topic actually didn't change all that much, I would say rather it was enforced more. This is because I always saw income inequality as an issue and I knew that I was more than just the rich had more money and the poor didn't so make the poor rich. Theres things like race, age, jobs, debt, financial stability, inflation and these end up going more in-depth into other issues. Income inequality is just a broader category of economic issues and is something that should be combated but in order to combat that, there are many barriers that need to be crossed.
Comments
Post a Comment